Winterkill and money

Daily blablabla -chat here.

Winterkill and money

Postby Loctar » 22.03.2004 03:58:04

Money isn't worth anything in winterkill anymore and that is kinda boring. The reason to why it's like this is because you gain money easy by exping and there is to few eqparties so eqs are kinda rare.

Me and Takke where discussing this matter and realised that adding a price for training and studying spells/skills would do the trick. Each % should cost a certain amount of money. In the end, maybe a reinc for a highbie could cost 500k or even more.

People would have to save money and sell eqs to be able to reinc. Therefore, the money would be worth more.
http://www.winterkill.org:4884/finger.loctar
Whéñ ÿóµ fééÎ mý þréséñ¢é...
Nó µsé fór Þráÿíñg, It's áÎÏ tó Ìáté.
FééÏ mÿ þáîñ, fééÏ mÿ wráth.
Éxþé¢t ñó mér¢ý.
Loctar

Postby Zatanic » 23.03.2004 16:14:36

very good idea, even if it causes some argue among players...
Zatanic

Postby Crast » 23.03.2004 17:20:59

Actually, I think this is a bad idea. Mainly because it doesnt solve the problem. The problem isnt that money isn't worth anything, the problem is that there isnt enough people playing the mud. Adding money cost to training would not only make it more like zombie, but also completely fuck up the freereincs that are available.

If more people(new people in particular), started playing, more parties would emerge, more EQ would be done, and money would be worth something.

Adding costs to training will only make sure that the newbies that do start playing, will leave, because the only ones that don't care about the money cost are the people that allready have money, i.e. the highbies. So it only serves as to punish those of us with little money.

.:crast:.

(oh, and if you think that money is worth nothing, im accepting donations, I could use a better fig/caster set)
Crast

Postby Loctar » 24.03.2004 13:05:04

The amount of players will not change in a near future.

Newbies would not have to spend as much money on reincs because they don't train as much skills as the highbies.
http://www.winterkill.org:4884/finger.loctar
Whéñ ÿóµ fééÎ mý þréséñ¢é...
Nó µsé fór Þráÿíñg, It's áÎÏ tó Ìáté.
FééÏ mÿ þáîñ, fééÏ mÿ wráth.
Éxþé¢t ñó mér¢ý.
Loctar

Bling Bling

Postby Kilian » 23.07.2004 01:09:55

Right...I'm back from one of my normal half/full year breaks from Winterkill..so hence the late reply.

There are a few reasons why too much money comes on the mud. Well, two actually. Money given out by areas (through gold or eq) and prices of useable/buyable items. Nothing more, nothing less.
So adressing the problem should actually target those two things. This also means you have to take into account that you have to free newbies/lowbies/midbies/etc from from those actions in a degressive way. This will always mean that highbies always pay the most, simply because money isn't so much of a problem to them as it is to newbies.

Training costs is a good idea, and no matter what is said...newbies don't reinc as much as highbies...besides....if they're below 5M (if I remember correctly) all reincs are free anyways aren't they? I'm sure our wizards are smart enough to put those same rules on gold costs. They higher they become, the more the costs....and if they reinc alot....it's a way of life...who said it isn't a costly way.

I didn't really hear any other ideas from anybody else (Why is this?) so I'll suggest some other things myself that might be some (part-)solutions. They might or might not work, maybe in a big mix working together, who knows.

Let monsters hide/throw away part of the money when they die....Of course you can collect it...but it would take searching/collecting skill, taking up time....and the time vs. xp balance is a nasty one on WK. (note: usually newbie areas have lots of monsters in same room, so less searches per # of monsters)

Why doesn't any eq get battered when you fight a monster? Why doesn't Arthur shatter his ring on your thick skull when he punches you? Increased % chance of desting EQ -> decreased monster strength. This will have two major affects, lower player parties attempting EQ, higher player parties getting EQ perhaps flooding the market...hard to predict. Obviously before doing such thing all current eq needs to be downgraded to make room/need for new eq.

What is wrong with those shopkeeps on WK? Giving out the same amount of cash for the n'th identical item? Add a degressive payout rate per n'th item already in store....also code caravans (virtual) buying up random items from shops.

(better) Thief mobs in 'cultured' places. Ones that actually steal money and don't stand there holding it for you to collect back.

Give 'convenience'-spells/skills money related costs (indirect or not) You can think about rare ingredients or simply a pile of gold you use to focus the spell through. Think about teleport spells, power spells. Basically non battle spells which will be used by higher players more frequently then newbies.

Anyhow, some more ideas about money...

Kilian
Kilian

Postby Spyro » 23.08.2004 22:41:37

Yea, one and i guess the best solution is to make more eqs, that would cause hibies to make more eq parties to get the equipment u cant gain by money and then they could sell old good eqs and maybe some of the new ones when theyre expensive and rare.
Spyro

Postby Chardron » 25.08.2004 23:26:26

Even if there were 5000 new eqs that wouldnt help shit because no one is doing equ parties or even planning em. that mainly because there aint enough players to make good eqs. the eqs of the game are almost maxed there is no point to gather new eqs because almost all of the old eqs have statted maxed. almost only difference in eqs is now adays skills and without skill bonuses those eqs wouldnt have anything different more than name. so my idea is to recode all of the games eqs, dest all the crap and make the bonuses of equipments to more reasonable. and also it would be nice if the stats of the equipment would be placed like they are now that they give +all stats and dont have any negative thingies in them
Chardron

Postby Rasta » 27.08.2004 19:28:13

In general more players could bring something new to the mud. About the eqs I'll bore you with some ideas which I elaborated in juxtaposition with Chardron's thoughts.

Eqs are indeed maxed to the current status quo. Therefore I would advice either to tweak the old and/or put new items loading to monsters (these new items could be old items with new stats).

Some thoughts for new stats:
What I've noticed is that caster eqs mainly enjoy more bonuses to skills and to useful stats than fighter eq of the same value.
Therefore especially the fighter eq should be fixed to grant bonuses to skills. This can simply be done by targeting the adjustments for melee-skills (otherwise items will be too guildwise). And also those useless bonuses for skills or stats that are not in the game should be adjusted.

Afterall, bonuses for skills are most useful for saving exp (last % of skills can cost ridiculous amounts of exp). In order not to give anyone with vast quantities of exp any competitive edge I would suggest to unify the skill-system so that skill% over 100 would not have any effect (this would lead to rise in skill costs but end up in a practical system). Skill% over 100 seems awkwardly unrealistic. After all nowadays there are less perks than before and less guild bonuses than before: this would increase the value of eq.

Let's get some action.. atleast in the forum as everything else seems impossible :lol:
Rasta

Return to General chat about Winterkill